|Location:||NEWPORT, Market Street, Newport, Gwent, SA42 0PH|
|Hours:||minimum 16 hours per week.|
|Shift pattern:||Various shift patterns, 5 days over 7 days|
|Benefits:||Staff Discount, Staff Lottery, Company Pension Scheme, Savings Scheme, Long Service Awards, Cycle to Work Scheme, Staff Social Fund, Life Cover, Health Cash Plan, Employee Volunteering opportunities|
||£8.02 per hour|
|Closing date:||March 12, 2018|
A.F. Blakemore & Son Ltd is one of the largest and most forward thinking family-owned businesses in the UK. The company began life in 1917 as a counter-service grocery store, and has grown from these humble beginnings into a company that now employs more than 8,200 people with a turnover of £1.3 billion.
Food and drink have always been the lifeblood of A.F. Blakemore and the business now entails retail, trade-partners, wholesale, distribution, foodservice, and shop fitting operations amongst its divisions.
A.F. Blakemore is the largest division of SPAR UK, owning 298 SPAR stores and serving 950 in total across England and Wales. The company is also the largest member of the Landmark Wholesale (Cash & Carry) group and a significant supplier to the independent grocery sector across the UK.
A.F. Blakemore has always been committed to developing a loyal and dedicated workforce that is focused upon excellent customer service and behaving with honesty and integrity. The company has always strived to build partnerships with suppliers and trade partners while never underestimating the role that it plays within the communities it serves.
Underpinning everything that A.F. Blakemore does is the company’s values statement, the Blakemore Way. This highlights what A.F. Blakemore stands for and the way that the company has always done and will continue to do business.
- To assist in maximising sales and profit by contributing to the continuous improvement of the store and staff, control of costs and leakage and provision of friendly, efficient service and customers, colleagues and visitors.
- To deliver customer service in line with SPARkling Service standards
- To be fully aware of Key Result Areas and assist in working to deliver and improve them
- To contribute ideas for driving the business and it’s team forward
- To assist in monitoring competitor activity
- To assist in developing a motivated and empowered team through a positive management style
- To assist in ensuring training is delivered as scheduled
- To use relevant processes and policies to control the security of people, stock and cash
- To assist in ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and health and food safety responsibilities as defined in the induction and period training
- Assist with the control of costs in accordance with agreed budgets
- Adherence to cash and stock control policies, ensuring and assisting others to do the same
Key Job Info:
- May be required to work evenings and weekends
- Behave within the principles of the company’s values at all times
- Maintain employee and organisational confidentiality in line with the Data Protection Act
- Demonstrate commitment to equality and diversity
- Comply with all legislative requirements as well as all company policies, procedures and processes
|Skills and experience:
Education / Qualifications / Licences
- Basic education (numeracy and literacy)
- APLH (Award for Personal License Holder) - must have or be prepared to undertake this qualification
- NVQ Level 2-3 in Retail Skills, Customer Care (or similar) is desirable
Skills / Abilities / Knowledge / Experience
- Welsh speaking is desirable but not essential
- An understanding of budgets & targets and the ability to assist in working to deliver and improve them
- Some understanding of health and food safety and legislative responsibilities of a retail environment and the skill to assist with managing those responsibilities
- Ability to contribute ideas for driving the business and it’s team forward
- Previous experience in a food retail environment (or similar) is preferred
- Some experience of team and business development is desirable
- Experience of using a Challenge 25 policy is desirable
- Previous cash handling experience is preferred
- Ability to provide leadership, direction and motivation to teams is essential
Behaviour / Attitude
- Customer focussed and understands the importance of this to the business
- Ability to deal with conflict in an effective and professional manner
- Demonstrates integrity, a strong work ethic and upholds the company values and principles
- Flexible approach to working hours
- Shows a commitment to ongoing personal development and training, always striving to improve