|Department:||Retail - SPAR Store Management (inc foodservice)|
|Hours:||40 Hours Per Week|
|Shift pattern:||Various to meet needs of business, incl. evenings and weekends|
|Benefits:||Bonus Scheme potential of up to £5,200 pa, Company Sick Pay, Additional Holidays, Company Pension Scheme, Life Cover, Staff Discount, Long Service Awards, Cycle to Work Scheme, Employee Volunteering opportunities, Health Cash Plan|
|Closing date:||February 16, 2018|
A.F. Blakemore & Son Ltd is one of the largest and most forward thinking family-owned businesses in the UK. The company began life in 1917 as a counter-service grocery store, and has grown from these humble beginnings into a company that now employs more than 8,200 people with a turnover of £1.3 billion.
Food and drink have always been the lifeblood of A.F. Blakemore and the business now entails retail, trade-partners, wholesale, distribution, foodservice, and shop fitting operations amongst its divisions.
A.F. Blakemore is the largest division of SPAR UK, owning 298 SPAR stores and serving 950 in total across England and Wales. The company is also the largest member of the Landmark Wholesale (Cash & Carry) group and a significant supplier to the independent grocery sector across the UK.
A.F. Blakemore has always been committed to developing a loyal and dedicated workforce that is focused upon excellent customer service and behaving with honesty and integrity. The company has always strived to build partnerships with suppliers and trade partners while never underestimating the role that it plays within the communities it serves.
Underpinning everything that A.F. Blakemore does is the company’s values statement, the Blakemore Way. This highlights what A.F. Blakemore stands for and the way that the company has always done and will continue to do business.
- To maximise sales and profit through the continuous improvement of the store and staff, control of costs and leakage and provision of friendly, efficient service to customers, colleagues and visitors.
- To deliver customer service in line with SPARkling Service standards
- To be fully aware of Key Result Areas and assist in working to deliver and improve them
- To generate ideas for driving the business and it’s team forward
- To monitor competitor activity and propose appropriate responses
- To develop a motivated and empowered team through a positive management style
- Staff recruitment, planning and training
- To use relevant processes and policies to control the security of people, stock and cash
- To ensure compliance with the relevant legislation and health and food safety responsibilities as defined in the induction and period training
- The control of costs in accordance with agreed budgets
- Adherence to cash and stock control policies, ensuring and assisting others to do the same
Key Job Info:
- May be required to work evenings and weekends
- Behave within the principles of the company’s values at all times
- Maintain employee and organisational confidentiality in line with the Data Protection Act
- Demonstrate commitment to equality and diversity
- Comply with all legislative requirements as well as all company policies, procedures and processes
|Skills and experience:
Education / Qualifications / Licences
- Basic education (numeracy and literacy)
- APLH (Award for Personal License Holder) - must have or be prepared to undertake this qualification
- NVQ Level 3 in Management (or equivalent) is desirable
Skills / Abilities / Knowledge / Experience
- Previous experience at a supervisory or managerial level in a food retail environment (or similar) essential
- Ability to ensure scheduled training and development delivered to required standard is essential
- An understanding of budgets & targets and the ability to work to deliver and improve them essential
- Basic knowledge of health and food safety and legislative responsibilities of a retail environment and the skill to manage those responsibilities essential
- Ability to generate ideas for driving the business and it’s team forward
- Previous budget responsibility is preferred
- A proven track record of team and business development is desirable
- Experience of managing a Challenge 25 policy is desirable
Behaviour / Attitude
- Customer focussed and understands the importance of this to the business
- Ability to deal with conflict in an effective and professional manner
- Demonstrates integrity, a strong work ethic and upholds the company values and principles
- Flexible approach to working hours